Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bennett Timothy James Puente


Here is the quick story of his birth and updates until now! :)

Right before they took me back for my somewhat scheduled c-section, my family was sitting in the room and I looked out the window and there was a beautiful rainbow. Yet another reminder to chari and I of God's promises. It’s exactly what we needed to make it through the scary time, the Peace we needed. God is caring for us. 

When we came back to the OR, the plan was to go through with an epidural c-section manly because as they discussed our case, they wanted this to be a smooth & safe surgery for Bennett and I. They had to be careful not to lower my blood pressure to much because that could directly effect Bennett and they didn't want that to happen because that could quickly turn into an emergency c-section. 

They inserted the epidural and slowly started to give me the doses until I could get numb enough for the surgery. It got to the point where I could no longer have any more doses of the meds but my body was rejecting the medication and was not numb enough in the areas it needed to be so they decided I would need to have the spinal after all. That was preformed and it took longer than normal for it to set in but it did well enough for them to start the surgery. Chari came back and sat by my head as they started. Within about 10 min or less, the Anesthesiologist stood and told us that he was almost out. Chari really wanted to see so they allowed him to look. Chari and the Anesthesiologists eyes widened and they started to tear and tell me he was so small. I then heard his little cry and immediately tears of joy started flooding my face. My sweet miracle was here, alive and crying. They couldn’t show me so Chari followed the NICU team and he took pictures and brought them back to show me while they finished up the surgery. The pictures just didn’t do him justice. He is perfect!!

When they moved me to the recovery room next to the OR, The issue became pain management. My spinal started to wear off quicker than they expected and they didn’t have any pain meds on board at that point so I could feel pretty much everything. It was an intense feeling, like my insides were melting. Haha. They were able to pump me with lots of meds that made me extremely drowsy which wasn’t eventful for the family that was there to see me after my surgery. :) Before moving me to my room back upstairs, they brought Bennett for me to see before he went back to the NICU. I got to hold his little hand and talk with him before being to tired to see straight.

When I felt better I could come back down to see Bennett but It took me until really yesterday to feel better and be able to walk around and go see him, although chari did wheel me down a few times before. I have learned much about my body in this time but I will spare all the details. ;) My pain is finally really under control, walking around has helped. The main pain has been the air that they pumped me with. I just felt it heavy in my shoulders and chest which made it impossible to lay flat to fall asleep but praising and thanking god that it is for the most part out of the way. 

Bennett since being in the NICU has done AMAZING! At this time he is only receiving 1L of oxygen for backup but is breathing in all the air that we do. He is just an amazing little man! They think that I will be able to hold him today, but we will see if that pans out. They have to be extremely careful because of the connections that he at the moment. He has wiring in his umbilical cord and that cant be moved to much. So I am just waiting to get my skin to skin time with my son. Something most mamas get within minuets of birth! I am just in awe of God's promises when I look at him. He is a sweet reminder of how much God cares for his children. Pictures don’t do his small size justice!! It will be a long journey for our sweet boy BUT we believe in miracles. We are praying growth and health over our son. That the Lord will use him to abundantly bless every nurse that comes in contact with him. That the Lord uses him even when he is not awake, that Peace, Love & Grace surround his isolette.

Not that his name needs explanation but there is a lot of meaning behind his names and want to share. 

Bennett- (Little Blessed one), Benito is Chari's dads name and Emmett is my dad's middle name, so combine the two and you have Bennett (with an extra n because I like to throw those doubles in my kids names, makylee-brooklynn). Our fathers have been instrumental in our lives and we want to honor them and their amazing character by gracing our son with a mixture of them. We couldn’t be happier that his name also has a lot of meaning behind it and something we hold close to our hearts. 

Timothy- (To Honor God). My uncle Tim passed away and it was a devastating time in my life and the lives of my family. What I do know is he was an amazing man! Loving, Kind, giving and all the qualities that I want my Bennett to have. 

James (to supplant) was Jesus’ brother, He took up his ministry. I did a study over a year ago on James and quickly fell in LOVE with him and what he teaches us through his word. A strong, faithful servant. I look back now and understand why the Lord connected me to that study and why it had such impact on me then. Preparation for now! 

So there you have it, Bennett Timothy James. Our strong, faithful, kind, giving, and loving boy. 

I cant thank you all enough for your prayers! Our Bennett is such a blessings, but we understand that he is not only a blessing to us but to all of you! The lord has given us gifts of his spirit that we can use to encourage those around us and is why we choose to share our story! Prayer works, and we ask that you continue to pray over our son and his health. God is so good. There is no denying that when you look at Bennett. 

I will keep you updated on his progress; right now I am just waiting for my milk to come in so he can start to eat!!! Pray for my liquid gold to flow. Haha. :) 



Blessings to all of your households, may the Lord bless you for all the diligent prayers that you have lifted for our son! 

2 comments:

  1. thank you for being so open about your little one! I dont think we have ever really met, but Ive known Chari for quite a few years and love catching all of your families updates on facebook and now here!
    What an amazing story this is playing out to be. You are doing amazing at telling this story God is telling you and giving it such a blessed faith along with it!

    Bennett is amazing and his name is perfect.
    it suits him, suits your whole family!
    I know its rough for you guys right now, while you recover from a really rough procedure, while Bennett grows stronger and being so close yet so far away.
    I am studying to be a lactation consultant and I have exclusively pumped for my daughter for the last 13 months and counting, so if i can be of any help when your milk comes in, please dont hesitate to come to me :)
    You guys are doing wonderful and I feel such a wonderful calming peace about it when i pray over it all. God is good and the Puentes are too :)

    <3 Rachel May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! We will continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete