Wednesday, April 10, 2013

We looovee fat!

Here we are week 3 on our journey in the NICU.

(Since friday the 5th) As some of you know Bennett is off his IV's and up to full feeds and tolerating it well! :) they have fortified it with extra calories and you are really starting to see some weight gain. It will never be acceptable to say "you need to get fat", or "I love that your getting fat and filling out" other than here in the NICU. Bennett, Benny, BT, TJ, BP, lil man or whatever you like to call him is almost 2lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1lb 15oz or 880grams!!! He has pooped alot today (he's a puente) so we think he will hit that mark by tomorrow or Friday!! (I will throw a mini party because its a BIG DEAL!) The nurses also tried feeding him by mouth yesterday (tuesday) and he took 3ml's which isn't a lot out of his 16ml's but good! The nipple was just so large for his mouth. Feeling grateful, blessed and amazed by this little guy! He's such a fighter.

Today he has been on and off his nasal cannula. So we are praying that over time, he will be fine without it. :) so far, he has been doing well and needed it at one point when I was holding him today. We couldn't be more thankful for this.

I'm amazed although I shouldn't be by Gods grace, peace, joy through this journey. We are starting to adapt to this "new norm" although we know it won't last forever. We had to transition into this time and in the same note will have to transition out when the time comes. I'm getting more familiar with how things are run and I'm sure soon will be able to do this job in my sleep! ;) jk. ( This is a tough position and pray over the medical staff daily, they are amazing.)

Gods given me this time to allow His work in my life on all levels. He's taught me through spending time here what's really important in life, he's allowed this time to look at my priorities, he's taught me to be grateful because although our situation is hard, someone has it worse and to be thankful for our version of "hard". He's taught me a deeper appreciation, love and compassion for the families of the NICU, he has brought me a passion of prayer for this field and for these people I encounter daily. And for all this I am humbled and blessed.

We really can't thank everyone enough who have stepped up to help his financially, spiritually, with meals and overall support. Continued prayers are always appreciated for all these areas below. His heart condition is not a current issue and just prayer it wont be. :) Please pray for development all around. Hearing, eyesight, weight gain, breathing. All of these things that come so naturally to a full term baby but come slower for him. Although he has continued to amaze and capture the hearts of doctors and nurses, prayers for these areas are always appreciated. :)

Here are some pics of the last few days and one from today!!! Happy 3 week birthday little man!!








No comments:

Post a Comment